At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). By combining great products, student data, and research on best practices, Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with nearly 600 public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong and growing team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
This is where you come in…
A significant component of the success of Ellevation’s products is the effective movement of data from external sources into the Ellevation platform. Ellevation is seeking an experienced Back-End Engineer who can bring great problem-solving skills to bear in order to address the challenge of transforming, validating and loading many heterogeneous data sets at scale.
- 65% hands-to-keyboard coding as member of Infrastructure-Core team, designing, implementing and deploying essential services, components and libraries in C#, Python and SQL that comprise Ellevation’s data and third-party integration capabilities.
- 20% architecture, mentoring, solution design and definition of best practices for Ellevation’s Python-based data transformation pipelines.
- 15% prototyping, evaluating of new technologies, and data analytics.
- Experience with enterprise integration patterns and architecture, including consuming JSON/REST web service APIs
- Experience with OAuth, OpenID, SAML and other SSO technologies
- Strong O-O programming knowledge (SOLID, DRY)
- Experience with basic data ETL processes, data normalization and validation principles (not big data or data science/analytics)
- Values clean and elegant but pragmatic and effective software design. Well-versed in writing unit, integration and end-to-end tests
- Dedicated to our mission and eager to take on challenges of scale in a rapid-growth environment.
- Excellent multi-tasker and strong ability to effect change, influence, and collaborate both within a technical team and also with external stakeholders
- Proven communication skills across all domains to audiences of varying technical knowledge
- Customer service orientation, and an understanding of the importance of meeting customer needs and maintaining high customer satisfaction. Naturally curious and inquisitive.
- Microsoft .NET stack server-side development: ASP.NET MVC, C#, Entity Framework/Dapper, LINQ
- Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle or similar RDBMS experience (stored procedures, views, indexes, query plans)
- Python (Pandas)
- Bonus: Experience with Airflow or similar Python pipeline frameworks
- Bonus: MongoDB or Elasticsearch
- Bonus: Familiarity with data interchange standards such as CEDS, Ed-Fi, EDI
In addition to our great benefit plans and competitive salaries, here are some other perks that make us unique:
- Great location in Boston - a stone’s throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop
- Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
- Fun Fridays including virtual happy hours with our remote team
- Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
- On-site gym and game room
- Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!